Circumcision is a quick and painless method to remove the male’s foreskin that covers the tip of the penis. The treatment is mainly done for newborns because of some religious, hygienic, or medical conditions. It is a surgical, painless, safe, and quick procedure. Circumcision can be performed in the male of any age but is much less painful when done during the infant stage.
How is circumcision treatment performed?
In the procedure of circumcision, the surgeon staples off the foreskin from the head of the penis with a medical stapler or special equipment. Circumcision is more common in newborns than in adults. It is a very short procedure and takes only a few minutes. The procedure is barely painful but is sometimes done under some type of anesthesia.
Circumcision can be performed 24-72 hours after the birth of the child. The procedure usually takes 10-20 minutes.
Circumcision rarely has complications when done by a certified doctor. Since it is done on a sensitive region of the body, it is extremely crucial to get it done only by a trusted and experienced doctor. Proper care is needed after the procedure. It is important to keep the circumcised area clean and follow the doctor’s advice on how to go about it. Immediately after the treatment, a soft gauze coated in petroleum jelly will be loosely wrapped around the tip of the penis to keep it from sticking to your baby’s diaper. The most common complications are bleeding and infection but they rarely occur when the procedure is done by an expert.
Some post care needed after the treatment are-
- Clean the babies penis with soap or water
- Your baby may have some discomfort with diaper changes the first few days
- The head of the penis may be raw or look red
- It usually heals within one to two weeks
- Fasten the diaper loosely
Benefits of circumcision-
- It reduces the risk of UTIs.
- It decreases penile problems such as irritation, inflammation, and infection.
- Circumcision helps to keep better hygiene
- Reduces the risk of cancer
- Decreases the chances of getting sexually transmitted diseases like HIV.
- It is also believed to reduce the probability of penile cancer.
There may be some redness, swelling, and slight bleeding or oozing for a few days after the circumcision procedure. It usually takes 7-10 days for a baby to recover. It is a small surgical procedure. Fertility of the newborn is not affected by circumcision.
The treatment is quite affordable. At Royal Lush, we have expert consultants, who can guide you about the treatment. The procedure is done by Dr. Syed Nazim Hussain, who is one of the top aesthetic surgeons and dermatologists in Okhla.