Cystic acne: Causes , Symptoms and Treatment at Royal Lush
Cystic acne is the development of cysts deep underneath the skin. The pores get clogged due to the presence of harmful bacteria, unwanted excessive oil, and dead skin cells. It is a chronic disease which is painful and itchy at times. If in case, the cyst bursts then it can cause infection leading to inflammation. It leaves scars and pimple spots on your face.
Usually painful bumps won’t go away easily as it is a chronic disease. If you see symptoms of cystic acne, visit the best skin specialist. They can prescribe the medication necessary to remove marks from your face and clear your skin.
Topics to be covered
- What are the symptoms for cystic acne ?
- What causes cystic acne ?
- What are the risk factors that are involved?
- What complications occur during this time?
- What precautions to be taken while suffering from cystic acne?
- What are the treatment options available ?
- See your doctor
What are the symptoms for cystic acne ?
The other type of acne tends to be at the epidermal layer of the skin i.e. just on the outer surface but cystic acne develops deep inside the skin causing severe damage to the skin making it a serious issue to address.
In Other identifying characteristics include:
- Painful, pus-filled cyst called cystic lesions
- Large nodules are formed beneath the skin
- Redness on the body
- Blackheads or whiteheads are common
- Pimples on the body surface
- Infected area swells up
Acne cysts are common not only on the face but also on the shoulders, neck and behind the ears. The other affected areas are the backside, chest, arms and butt.
What causes cystic acne ?
There are various factors that can be taken into account for development of cystic acne:
- First and the foremost is excess sebum oil production from the sebaceous glands which actually is responsible for the growth of hair and skin cells.
- Second is because oil lands are connected with hair follicles hence it leads to blocked pores. These blocked pores further develop whiteheads. Similarly, blackheads may look like dirt and dust trapped in pores but actually they are oxidized melanin. The dead skin cells in the open pores are filled with bacteria and sebum oil which when comes in contact with air turns brown producing blackheads.
- Third is the hormonal changes that appear in boys and girls during puberty. Increment in release of androgens ( responsible for reproduction and growth) leads to enlargement of sebaceous glands which increases sebum production. Also various hormonal changes can be seen in women during pregnancy or at the time of menopause.
- Taking certain types of medications without consultation can lead to chemical reactions within the body. Usage of certain drugs that don’t suit our body type can also worsen the case. At the same time using any kind of skin products may cause inflammatory reactions.
- Some studies indicate that consumption of certain types of food such as bread, chips or any other oily food can cause more damage to the body and face
- Also some health conditions, such as stress, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) can worsen the case.
What are the risk factors that are involved?
- People of all ages and sexes can get acne but it’s most likely to be seen in teenagers.
- Major hormonal changes happen during puberty or pregnancy which increases the chances to easily get prone to acne.
- It can run down a family tree. If someone in the family is suffering from cystic acne, the children are most likely to get prone to it.
- Consumption of oily substances can lead to acne issues.
What complications occur during this time?
Poping up or pricking the pimple spots on the face can lead to serious skin bacterial infections like cellulitis. Also it can leave deep tiny scar marks on your face and then only a good dermatologist can remove marks from the face.
One can develop pigmentation issues. Even after your skin cleans up, the uneven coloured spots at the site of the acne cyst might take upto a year to fade away completely. They can keep on changing colour as per the environment conditions and pollution in the area.
What are the treatment options available ?
The common medicines given for acne will not be apt for cystic acne as it is a severe disease and the medications are also specific keeping in mind the whether it is mild, moderate or serious. Here is the list of medications that are generally suggested by doctors for cystic acne.
- Oral antibiotics or Benzoyl peroxide is prescribed to help control the bacterial action within the body and lower down the inflammation rate. Pills are suggested to women in case of hormonal disbalance.
- Retinoids are given in the form of a cream, lotion or gel so that it unlocks the clogged pores and helps in treatment of excessive oil production.
- Drugs like Isotretinoin capsules to decrease sebum oil and Spironolactone to remove excessive oil production. At the same time, other steroids and drugs can be injected into cysts under doctor’s supervision.
What precautions to be taken while suffering from cystic acne?
- Wash your face two times everyday.
- Wear good quality sunscreen everyday.
- Be careful with the usage of cosmetic products and remove makeup before going to bed.
- Avoid rubbing your skin.
Cystic acne will leave you with scars marks on your face. The pimple spots on the face should not be rubbed because it may cause infection and swelling in the area. There are some other treatments that can help you with not not acne but also remove marks from your face.
See your doctor
To prevent the negative effects of acne and scars one must go and visit the best skin specialist near you. Dr. Syed Nazim Hussain is the top Dermatologist in South Delhi & Gurgaon withholding the experience of twelve plus years in the field of clinical dermatology and facial aesthetics. He will guide you through the best laser treatment for acne and best scar removal for the face. There are various other treatments provided by him to prevent acne that include:
- Acne treatment
- Acne scar treatment
- Acne dark spot removal
- laser treatment
- Pigmentation treatment
- Chemical peel
So if in case you any of the symptoms related to cystic acne are visible you can immediately run to Dr. Syed’s clinic for hassle free and quality experience.
For booking an appointment contact us through whatsapp/call on: +91-9667866694
Or raise your queries at: email@example.com